Friday, May 15, 2009

Green Communities: Part 2

As I promised in my last post, I'll continue to talk about how you can save money without having to give up the things that make life comfy.



For starters it's all about combining the simplicity of old with the amazing technology of the future. I'm certain you've herd of solar panels and wind turbines, but have you herd of building houses out of mud and straw? I'm not talking about anything like the three little pigs and the big bad wolf, I'm talking about cod, adobe, and other sustainable building materials.



This is basically the same stuff people have been using to build shelter before the industrial revolution and still use in third world countries today. I was talking to a friend of mine who was in Iraq and he said that the houses over there were made using cod and from what he said it was not only cheap but better than the cement houses that the army built while over there. My thinking is that if poor people in the third world can build these houses why can't we, with our technology and resources we could do a hell of a better job. The money that's saved could be used for solar panels, bio-gas digesters, and other money/earth saving technologies; imagine not only having to pay a ridiculous home loan, or electricity bill, or heating bill.

Unfortunately while talking to another friend who's a loan consultant he said that you can't get a loan for these types of houses, because it's hard to resell them. This is a bunch of bull, the reason that you can't get a loan is because the elitists know that they would loose money if everyone did this. Well fuck-em, I'll do it anyway! It's my money and I'll keep it thank you very much.

Soon I'll be working to gather together like minded people to work on a project like I described above, a green community if you will. Everyday I learn more, and get that much closer to my goal, I'm certain by the end of this year major change will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment